Friday, December 24, 2021 - 10:00 AM

Don't Let Safety Take a Holiday - Stay Safe this Holiday Season

Image of three SJRFD Fire Trucks parked at Central Fire Station in St. John's

Fire safety is important at any time of the year, but with the extra distractions during the holiday season it is especially important to be vigilant. Dry Christmas trees, colourful decorations and wrapped presents are all extra fuel for a potential fire into your home.

The holidays should be a time for celebration rather than tragedy and for this reason the SJRFD is urging people to be fire aware and stay fire safe.

The following safety tips will ensure that both you and your families will have an enjoyable and fire-safe holiday season.

Christmas Trees

  • When purchasing a live tree, check for freshness. The trunk butt of tree should be sticky with resin, and when tapped on the ground, needles should not fall off.
  • Add water to the tree stand daily.
  • Artificial trees should bear a “fire resistant” label.

Lights

  • Use lights according to their certified use. Some lights can be used indoors while others can be used outside.
  • Replace any string of lights that may have broken cords or loose bulb connections. Read manufacturer’s instructions for number of light strands to connect.
  • Always turn off Christmas tree lights before leaving home or going to bed.

Decorations

  • Use only non-combustible or flame-resistant materials to trim a tree.
  • Place candles in non-combustible, non-tip candle holders and ensure they are well away from the Christmas tree and other combustible materials.
  • Never leave lit candles unattended and ensure they are always out of the reach of children.
  • Matches are not toys; keep them out of the reach of children.

Fireplaces

  • Have your chimney cleaned and inspected once a year.
  • Always use a fire screen, and burn only dry, seasoned wood.
  • Never use flammable liquids in a fireplace.
  • Always remove ashes from your fireplace in a metal container.

Electrical Outlets

  • Never overload wall outlets even for short durations.
  • Discard any cords having exposed or frayed wiring.
  • Insert plugs fully into outlets. Poor contact may cause overheating or shock.
  • To avoid possible overheating, do not coil or bunch an extension cord which is in use and do not run it under carpet or rugs.

Tis the season for safety – the St. John’s Regional Fire Department wishes everyone a safe and happy holiday season.