Child At Play Signs

Child At Play Signs

The Traffic Division receives requests for 'Children at Play' signs from residents who are concerned with speeding on their street. The perception is that a sign will cause motorists to slow down. 

The City of St. John's only uses signs that are in the Canadian Manual of Uniform Traffic Control Devices. Children at Play signs are not included in the manual because they may give parents the false sense of security that the sign will protect their children from speeding vehicles and therefore it is okay for children to play on the street. Unfortunately, experience has shown that these signs have very little effect on vehicle speeds.

Warning signs are meant to advise motorists of unusual or unexpected road conditions. There are children on nearly every residential street in the City of St. John's and therefore motorists should expect them to be there. Speeding can only be controlled by regular and selective enforcement.

If you have a concern about speeding on your street you should  contact the Royal Newfoundland Constabulary.

For more information please contact Access St. John's at 311 or (709) 754-CITY (2489).