Lawn and Garden Watering

Lawn and Garden Watering

Water Conservation Order
Since 2002, a Water Conservation Order has permanently been in place to promote wise water use by residents throughout the year. The Water Conservation Order applies to all outside uses of water in the City of St. John's.  

Water consumption in the St. John’s region increases during the summer, primarily due to the outdoor use of water (e.g. lawn watering, car washing, etc.). It is hoped that public adherence to this order will eliminate the need to impose a complete ban on outside water use during the summer months.

Frequently Asked Questions

When can I water my lawn and garden with a sprinkler?
If your street number is even, you can water between 6 and 8 a.m., and 8 and 10 p.m., Tuesdays and Saturdays.

If your street number is odd, you can water between 6 and 8 a.m., and 8 and 10 p.m., Thursdays and Sundays.

When can I hand water my garden?
You can hand water your garden with a watering can or hose with a shut off nozzle at any time.

When can I water my new lawn?
You can water your new lawn between 6 and 8 a.m., and 8 and 10 p.m. every day for a period of 60 days following installation. Please call Access St. John's at 311 or (709) 754-CITY (2489) to register your new lawn with the City.  Access St. John's is available to take your call 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

When can I wash my car or clean my windows and siding?
You can wash your car or clean your windows and siding any time as long as you use a hose with a shut off nozzle.

What are the penalties if I fail to comply with the Water Conservation Order?
Under the City of St. John's Act, failure to comply with this order may result in prosecution and imposition of a fine of up to $5,000. The City also has the authority to turn off the water supply to anyone who does not comply with this order.

Who is exempt from having to comply with this order?
Commercial car washes and commercial high pressure water uses are exempt from this order.

Saving water is everybody's business. Make sure it is yours. 

For additional help, contact information or to submit a request visit Access 311.