Frozen Residential Water Pipes

Frozen Residential Water Pipes

The City provides a service to thaw frozen water services to owner-occupied residences, owner-occupied residential condominiums and owner-occupied co-operative housing. Please note that the City will thaw external water service laterals only, not frozen plumbing inside the residence. The City does not provide a thawing service for any other class of property, except for City-owned rental or non-profit housing. For more information please refer to Policy 08-04-15: Thawing of Frozen Service Laterals.

To avail of this service please call Access St. John's at 311 or (709) 754-CITY (2489).  The response for thawing frozen water services will be made in the same order in which calls were received. A fee of $100 will be charged for each occurrence.

In the event that a service has to be excavated to be thawed the owner will be charged $500, which is payable in advance, whether or not it is the first occurrence for the property in a season.

The City will use steam or hot water in its thawing operations. The use of electric pipe thawing machines or welding machines is strictly prohibited and persons using such devices will be held liable for any damage caused.

Owners will be required to sign a waiver releasing the City from responsibility for property damage and the City is not responsible for returning property, which needed to be disturbed to perform the work, to its original state.

Homeowners that have experienced frozen water services in the past can reduce the risk of having their service freeze again during cold weather by leaving one faucet open to allow a slight flow of water.

For additional help, contact information or to submit a request visit Access 311.