Thursday, February 14, 2019 - 1:00 PM

Safety Tips During A Power Outage

The St. John’s Regional Fire Department wishes to remind all residents of what measures to take before, during and after a storm. The following safety tips will help keep you and your family safe during a power outage.

  • Electrically connected smoke alarms and carbon monoxide alarms will not work when the power is out unless they have battery back-ups. Make sure your home has battery operated smoke alarms and carbon monoxide alarms.
  • Everyone should know how to get out immediately if there is a fire. Plan and practice your escape plan before emergencies happen. 
  • Use flashlights or battery-operated lanterns or glow sticks instead of candles. Keep a fresh supply of batteries on hand. If using candles, place them in a non-combustible holder on a flat surface at least 12 inches away from anything that can burn and out of the reach of pets and children. 
  • Propane and charcoal barbecues are for outdoor use only. Do not bring them inside.
  • Purchase generators with recognized approved labels. Make sure the unit has proper connection receptacles and circuit breakers.
  • Portable generators should only be used outdoors and carefully located to ensure the exhaust fumes do not enter the home. Allow the generator to cool before refueling. Refuel the generator outside, following manufacturer’s instructions. Store fuel for the generator in approved containers outside the home.
  • Use only portable space heaters that have been designed for indoor use and follow the manufacturer’s instructions. Provide adequate ventilation by opening a window slightly while the heater is in use. Before refueling, turn off the heater, wait for it to cool and take the heater outside to refuel.
  • Make sure electric stove elements and small appliances are OFF or unplugged to prevent fires from occurring when the electricity is restored.
  • Cordless phones will not work when the power is out, so it is recommended to have at least one phone that does not require electricity to operate.

For more information contact:
Captain Michael Maher
Fire Prevention Officer
St. John’s Regional Fire Department
(709) 576-3905
mmaher@stjohns.ca
fireprevention@stjohns.ca