City Crest

City Crest

 
City of St. John's Coat of ArmsThe coat of arms that the City of St. John’s uses today was granted on March 1, 1965 when it was presented along with other civic symbols.
 
On the documents, written below the Crest is a description:

"Gules a Paschal Lamb proper between two chief Escallops Argent a Chief of the last charged with an ancient Ship sail set pennon and flag flying upon Water Barry wavy proper And for the Crest Issuant from a Mural Crown or a Rocky Mountain Sable thereon a Lion passant or between two Roses Gules each charged with another Argent barbed seeded slipped and leaved proper, Mantled Gules, doubled Argent. On either side a male figure the dexter habited as a Mariner of the Fifteenth Century holding an Escroll Argent inscribed thereon the numerals 1497 Sable and the sinister habited as a Mariner of the late Sixteenth Century holding a like Escroll inscribed 1583."

Memorial University of Newfoundland prepared the following interpretation of the City Crest:
"The saint after which the City is named is symbolized on the shield by the lamb, carrying a banner bearing St. George’s Cross, and scalloped shells. The ship, sailing on waves at the top of the shield, refers to the province’s early discoverers and explorers. The shield is supported on the left by a mariner of the fifteenth century bearing the year the island was discovered by Cabot. The supporter on the right is a mariner of the late sixteenth century, bearing the date 1583 - the year Sir Humphrey Gilbert claimed the island for England. The stone wall of the crest stands for civic authority, while the lion and roses refer back to the City’s British heritage. "Avancez" or "advance", the City’s motto, can be seen at the base of the coat of arms."