Awesome stuff to do
There’s so much to see and do in St. John’s. Get to know the city that you have chosen to study in by exploring our parks, trails and recreation facilities. Take in the local culture and history and attend some great events….we want you to get out and experience St. John’s!
Arts and culture Recreation Food and shopping Interesting places
Arts and culture
- Is history and art your thing? Don’t miss The Rooms museum, gallery and archives. Wednesday evenings are free!
- Film buffs can take in a movie at Scotiabank Theatre St. John's or Cineplex Cinemas Mount Pearl. Remember: big savings at the movies every Tuesday!
- Head down to a hockey game or event at Mile One Centre.
- Visit a fishing village right in the city. Quidi Vidi Village is the site of The Plantation, a fine craft studio.
- Theatre, music, dance, comedy. Enjoy all sorts of live events at the Resource Centre for the Arts, also known as the LSPU Hall or simply The Hall. Volunteer there too!
- Check out the events listings at the Arts and Culture Centre, located right next door to Memorial University.
- Find more things to do on our Calendar of Events or at The Overcast.
- Try some fancy moves on ice. Go ice skating indoors at Mile One Centre or outdoors at the Bannerman Park Loop.
- Go for a wilderness hike on the stunning East Coast Trail. Not to be missed!
- Take a walk or meet some friends in one of the city’s parks.
- Practice your kickflips at a skate park.
- Take in some winter fun by going sledding, snow shoeing, or cross country skiing in Pippy Park.
- Soar high on the North Atlantic Zipline, just a 20 minute drive from St. John’s.
- Are you a gamer? Join the gaming community at Sandbox Gaming.
- Learn to flick and flow by joining the St. John's Ultimate Frisbee League.
- Get in on the fun with the 709 Derby Girls, Newfoundland and Labrador’s first roller derby league.
- Indulge your inner foodie by trying some new cuisine. Mexican, Middle Eastern, Korean, Japanese, just pick your choice of restaurant.
- Buy local at the St. John’s Farmer’s Market, located just a short walk from Memorial University.
- Shop till you drop at one of the City’s indoor shopping centres – the Avalon Mall or the Village Mall. Both are well-served by public transit.
- If vintage is your style, make a trip downtown to Rosie the Rebel Boutique, Model Citizens, Lush Consignment Boutique, and Found Consignment Boutique.
- Check out the big box stores around Stavanger Drive and Kelsey Drive.
- Go unique, and shop boutique, in the downtown.
- For a view of the city unlike any other, visit St. John’s most popular landmark, Signal Hill, a National Historic Site.
- Take a selfie at the most easterly point in North America, Cape Spear National Historic Site.
- Discover a monument marking the starting point of Canadian hero Terry Fox's Marathon of Hope tucked away in the harbour off Water Street east.
- Go underground at the Johnson Geo Centre, a science interpretation centre with a special focus on geology.