Downtown Street Cleaning
Downtown Street Cleaning Parking Restrictions
From Monday, April 18 to Friday, Sept. 23, 2016 the City will clean downtown streets during the night based on a defined schedule. As outlined in the St. John's Street Cleaning By-Law during this time specific streets scheduled to be cleaned have restricted parking.
Please use one of the options shown below to obtain information about the sweeping schedule:
If your street is under total reconstruction including the removal and replacement of all the asphalt surface as well as a major percentage of the curb, gutter and sidewalk the Street Cleaning By-Law will not be enforced.
If you require additional information please call Access St. John's at 311 or (709) 754-CITY (2489).
During the night 171 kilometres of street curb in the downtown area are scheduled to be cleaned. The map of the Downtown street cleaning area shows the boundary is basically the same as those streets defined in the Snow Clearing By-Law with the addition of The Boulevard, Carnell Drive, Clancey Drive, Lake Avenue, Lake View Avenue and King's Bridge Road (Empire Avenue to The Boulevard). However, unlike the Snow Clearing By-Law, the only exclusions are streets that don't have curbs or can't be accessed safely by the mechanical broom. All other streets in this area will be swept on the dates specified.
The City's Department of Public Works has a comprehensive plan in place for street cleaning in the downtown area. There are 28 predefined routes. They have been grouped as follows:
- Downtown Central Business District - All streets bounded by Hamilton Avenue, New Gower Street, Duckworth Street and Temperance Street with the exception of the section of Duckworth Street from Cavendish Square to Signal Hill Road.
- Downtown Arterials and Collectors - Those major streets that handle the most traffic, plus secondary streets and connector streets that lead to major commercial, tourist and residential areas.
- Downtown Residential Streets - Those streets that have the least traffic.
Scheduled Cleaning Frequency
- Downtown Central Business District - eight times per year
- Arterials & Collectors - four times per year
- Residential Streets - three times per year
What Can I Do to Help?
Please remove all vehicles from the street at the scheduled times. Any vehicle left on the street during a scheduled cleaning will be ticketed. Please note, all sweeping takes place in the morning on the dates specified, between the hours of midnight and 7 a.m.
Do not re-park your vehicle in any area that is scheduled for cleaning. The mechanical broom may make several passes on your street.
Yearly sweeping dates are included here. Please make a note of them. If you are out of town on any of these dates and your vehicle is left on the street, it will be ticketed. Please arrange with a neighbour or friend to move your car for you.
Your cooperation and patience are appreciated. Together, we can keep your neighbourhood clean.
For additional help, contact information or to submit a request visit Access 311.