Residential Sewer Back-up

Residential Sewer Back-up

Back-up of only one plumbing fixture in your house:  The problem is likely an internal plumbing blockage. This is not the City's responsibility. Please call your plumber.

Back-up of more than one plumbing fixture in your house:  This problem could be caused by a number of factors. These include:

  1. Blockage of residential sewer pipe.
  2. Blockage of internal plumbing.
  3. Back-up of the main sewer into the house.

If you experience a sewer back-up on more than one fixture, please immediately call Access St. John's at 311 or (709) 754-CITY (2489).

PLEASE NOTE: Due to new safety measures put in place as a result of the pandemic, the City has discontinued offering its sewer back-up service to residents. We apologize for this and are working to find a solution that will protect the health and safety of our staff. In the interim, residents with a sewer back-up must contact a private contractor for assistance in clearing the problem.

Prior to the pandemic, the following service was offered by the City. We are currently working to restore this service as quickly as possible, once the correct personal protective equipment can be sourced for our staff:

  • There is a $100 charge for this service provided no digging is required.   
  • If there is a blockage in the sewer service lateral of a residence that requires the city to dig to repair your service, a fee of $500, to be paid in advance, will be charged. Payment can be made at the Access St. John's office on the first floor of City Hall. In addition, Access St. John's will accept payment by Visa or Mastercard over the telephone. To avail of this service, please call Access St. John's at 311 or (709) 754-CITY (2489).
  • Reinstatement of property or structures necessarily disturbed by the City in the performance of work specified herein will be the sole responsibility of the owner and the owner will be required to sign a waiver releasing the City from responsibility for property damage before work is started.
  • For additional help, contact information or to submit a request visit Access St. John's.