Planning and Development Fee Schedule
Development Application types processed under the St. John's Development Regulations fee structure.
Note: Please reference 'Inspection Services Division Fees and Rates' under Building, Renovation and Repairs for other fees related to Building Applications.
Application Processing Fees
1. General Application Fee $150
2. Discretionary Use $300
3. Extension of Non-Conforming Use $300
4. Change of Non-Conforming Use $300
5. Reconstruction of a Non-Conforming Building $300
6. Subdivision Applications $200 per lot
7. All other Applications processed by the Planning and Development Division under the St. John’s Development Regulations that are not identified above. $150
8. Map and text amendment to the St. John’s Development Regulations $300. Where a proposed Amendment to the St. John's Development Regulations requires that an Amendment also be made to the St. John's Municipal Plan, then an additional processing fee of $1,800 will be applied.
9. Appeals to the St. John’s Local Board of Appeal $115. Appeals are to be filed with the Secretary of the St. John’s Local Board of Appeal. The appeal fee is refunded where the appeal is successful. Please contact the Office of the City Clerk for information regarding the filing of appeals.
10. Municipal Compliance Letter $150. Please note that the fee for a compliance letter is non-refundable once City Staff commences work on the preparation of the letter.
11A. For residential development on a vacant lot:
- For a single detached dwelling, with or without a subsidary unit, the development fee is $1,600 (up to two units total). For each additional unit beyond two units, the development fee is an additional $1,600 per unit.
11B. For residential redevelopment of a Homestead Lot:
- No development fee for existing single family dwelling, with or without a subsidary unit, for a total of two units A development fee of $1,600 per unit for each additional unit, in excess of two units, shall be charged.
12. For non-residential development on a vacant lot or a developed lot:
- A development fee of $16 per square metre (gross floor area) shall be charged for a new development as well as the extension of an existing development.
13. For mixed-use development:
- The development fee applicable to the residential component shall be calculated based upon item 11A or 11B above.
- The development fee applicable to the commercial component shall be calculated based upon item 12 above.
- Both fees are then to be added for total development fee charged.
Application processing fees are non-refundable once the application is formally accepted by the Planning and Development Division for processing and, non-refundable regardless of the decision of the St. John’s Municipal Council or City Development Officer with respect to the approval of the application. Certain Civic Improvement Assessments, securities or charges may be applied to an application dependent on the requirements of the St. John's Development Regulations as they apply to the application. The applicant will be advised accordingly of fees which apply to the application.
Any enquiries pertaining to Application Processing Fees may be directed to:
Planning and Development Division
4th Floor, St. John’s City Hall Annex
10 New Gower Street
P.O. Box 908
St. John’s, NL A1C 5M2
Telephone: (709) 576-8220
Fax: (709) 576-8625