Arts and Culture Advisory Committee
The Arts and Culture Advisory Committee provides information and advice to the Community Services and Housing Standing Committee on matters related to the arts, culture and living and intangible cultural heritage that intersect City policies, programs, and services as referred to it by committees of council, or as initiated by the committee. Specifically the committee will:
- Provide the perspective of the arts, culture and intangible cultural heritage sectors to the City of St. John’s Municipal Arts Plan
- Provide advice and guidance on City policies which may be linked to arts, culture and intangible cultural heritage matters
- Promote the integration and linkage of arts, intangible cultural heritage and cultural matters as they relate to City plans, strategies, and policies.
- Advise on the implementation of applicable policies pertaining to arts, culture and or intangible cultural heritage
- Advise on ways to further public awareness and understanding of arts, intangible cultural heritage, and culture issues as they relate to the City of St. John’s.
The purpose of the Arts and Culture Advisory Committee in relation to specific City policies, plans and strategies is as follows:
Neighborhoods build our city- develop parks and places for people, maintain and position downtown as a distinct neighborhood
A culture of cooperation- create effective city-community collaborations
Fiscally responsible- deliver effective grant programs and services
City for all seasons- support year round tourism and industry activity
Responsive and Progressive- create a culture of engagement, become a welcoming and inclusive city, build social and demographic factors into policy-making, identify and deliver on projects, programs and strategies.
The Arts and Culture Advisory Committee will be consulted on any city public engagement processes where getting the perspective of the arts, culture, and intangible cultural heritage sectors is identified in a plan.
Meeting frequency will be a minimum of three times per year.