Spay/Neuter Assistance Program
Spaying and neutering is very important to control the pet population and for your pets health and well being. It can also reduce medical and behavioural problems.
The City has a subsidized spay/neuter program for residents of St. John's needing financial assistance. After the subsidy the cost is as follows:
- Dog spayed or neutered for $110 (includes a dog license)
- Cat spayed or neutered for $85 (includes a cat license)
You are eligible for assistance if you meet one of the following criteria:
- Combined family net income of $25,000 or less
- Single parent with a net income of $25,000 or less
- Single and have a net income of $15,000 or less
- 65 years of age or older and receiving the Guaranteed Income Supplement
You must provide proof of meeting the criteria with the following:
- proof of identification which shows you reside in St. John's.
- proof of income (copy of current income tax assessment)
- if you are receiving the Guaranteed Income Supplement, a Letter of Confirmation from the Government of Canada
The Spay/Neuter Assistance Application Form and supporting documents must be returned to Humane Services, P.O. Box 908, St. John's, NL, A1C 5M2 or can be dropped of at Humane Services at 81 Higgins Line. Due to the limited number of surgeries that can be provided, only those selected will be contacted.
Application forms may also be obtained at:
- Access St. John's, City Hall
- Humane Services Shelter, 81 Higgins Line
For additional information please visit Access St. John's
Where 311 is unavailable, call 709-754-CITY (2489)
Call Humane Services 576-6126
Monday-Friday Noon – 4 PM, Sat-Sun 3-5 PM