Residents of St. John's are required to have their pets licensed. The benefits of licensing are many and include helping to reunite owners and their pets by having a direct link to the owner's contact information at all times. This information is very important, especially if your pet is found injured and needs immediate medical attention. It could also mean less time that your pet is away from your family or in a shelter.
The City's Animal Control Regulation includes the following provisions:
- Dogs shall be licensed with the City within 20 business days of acquiring the dog or within 20 business days of the dog reaching six months of age.
- The license shall be renewed annually and the owner shall advise the City of any changes in licensing information including any change of address or contact phone number.
- When the dog is off the owner's property, the dog shall wear a collar to which shall be attached the current license tag for the dog.
- A license is not transferable.
- A dog must be on a leash whenever off the owner's property.
Locations to Purchase a License
Licenses for a cat or dog can be purchased for $15 at the following locations:
- Humane Services Animal Care and Adoption Centre, 81 Higgins Line (Monday through Friday, 12, noon to 4 p.m. and Saturday and Sunday, 3 to 5 p.m.)
- Access St. John's, first floor City Hall (Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.)
- St. John's SPCA, R.C.A.F. Road (cash only)
- Terra Nova Veterinary Clinic, 10 Elizabeth Avenue, Howley Estates (cash only)
- St. John's Veterinary Hospital, 335 Freshwater Road (cash only)
- Sunrise Animal Hospital, 222 Park Avenue, Mount Pearl (cash only)
- Torbay Road Animal Hospital, 286 Torbay Road, Coakers Meadow Plaza (cash only)
- Avalon Animal Hospital, 556 Logy Bay Road, Logy Bay (cash only)
- Topsail Road Veterinary Clinic, 860 Topsail Road, Mount Pearl (cash only)
- Paradise Animal Hospital, 55 Karwood Drive, Paradise (cash only)
- H.G.R. Mews Community Centre - 40 Mundy Pond Road
For additional information please visit Access St. John's
Call: 311 or 709-754-CITY (2489)
Call Humane Services 709-576-6126
Monday to Friday noon-4 p.m., Sat to Sun 3-5 p.m.